Flickr is the app that pioneered online photography, and over the years it’s become a daily habit for a passionate audience of some 85 million photo-loving Web users.
To make that passion burn brighter, we announced a major update to our Flickr mobile app last week that adds cool new features designed to delight users, including enhanced filters, geotagging, and the ability to push photo updates to friends on Facebook, Twitter and Tumblr. Judging from the media’s enthusiastic reaction, our update hit the mark.
The following quotes are taken from reviews of the enhanced app that ran in leading publications. Click on the links to read the full stories, which offer much more detail on the new enhancements. And click here to get the app and try it out for yourself.
- “Flickr announced a new iOS app today for shooting, editing, sharing and discovering photos. Based on the demo Wired saw, this is exactly the kind of gorgeous application that Flickr users have been longing for and that Flickr has always needed.” – Mat Honan, Wired
- “Long story short, it’s the best mobile photo app out there at the moment. Sorry Kevin Systrom and Instagram. Even with your latest update to your app, which gave it a snappier looking photo button, you just got lapped by Flickr.” – Eric Jackson, Forbes.com
- “As I began using Flickr's new mobile app, I immediately realized: This can do everything Instagram can do. Plus more. It was ridiculously easy to set up. I found my Twitter and Facebook friends already on Flickr with no trouble.”– Craig Kanalley, The Huffington Post
- “The new app can be summed up with one word: beautiful. But the app goes beyond just a few filters and a spruced-up design. The updated mobile experience now feels like a social network that focuses on photography, not a photography Web site that happens to have a social network.” – Nick Bilton, New York Times
- “The new app is designed to show off individual photos better, to ease sign-up for new users, to speed photo browsing, and to improve discovery.” – Stephen Shankland, CNET
- “ … Flickr is rolling out a brand spanking new Flickr iPhone app and it is that good — really, really, really, really mind blowingly fantastic good. It not only smokes every other previous mobile version of Flickr it smokes every other mobile photo sharing app on the market today.” – Thomas Hawk, Thomas Hawk’s Digital Connection