Company manages billions of keywords and syncs cost and revenue data for each one daily, says Marin’s Gagan Kanwar
Editor’s Note: From time to time, we run stories by members of the Yahoo!-Bing Preferred Partner Program that offer expert advice and insights into SEM technology and improving the advertiser experience. Now we’d like to give you a closer look at the four partners themselves, which include Marin Software. Here’s Gagan Kanwar, Director of Partnerships & Research at Marin, who talks about global trends that are reshaping digital advertising; the top features of Marin’s campaign management solution; and what advertisers should consider before building their own tools.
Yahoo! Ad Blog: What’s the biggest opportunity for search marketers in the next year or two?
Gagan Kanwar: There are actually a few large opportunities just over the horizon. Product Listing Ads let retailers use richer (image-based) ad formats within a search engine. Search retargeting, where search engines help advertisers target users based on prior searches, shows a lot of promise. And local area targeting will grow as more consumers use their mobile phones as local search devices.
YAB: Let’s look further ahead. What do you think the digital marketing industry look like in five years?
GK: We think that the next five years hold major change for digital advertising, with three trends leading the way:
- China will become the second-largest digital advertising market after the U.S., creating opportunities and challenges for global advertisers and publishers.
- Digital commerce will become truly global; national boundaries will fade away, while campaign management and budget allocation grow more complex
- Device fragmentation will increase as the “Internet of Things” becomes a reality, making campaign attribution and measurement even more complex.
YAB: What does Marin offer that’s unique and sets you apart from the competition?
GK: We provide a unique solution that enables campaign management across publishers; algorithmic bid optimization, and a streamlined workflow. Aside from our solutions, we believe that our scale, integration and reach really set us apart.
For example, we manage billions of keywords, and we sync cost and revenue data for each one every day. No other solution comes close to that scale and performance. We’re integrated with several analytics and conversion-data systems, which helps us provide more accurate reporting to our clients. And we have global reach, with offices in nine countries and relationships with key publishers around the world.
YAB: Why should clients use your campaign-management solutions instead of building their own?
GK: We think advertisers and agencies are much better off leveraging a proven solution rather than developing their own, for three key reasons.
- Building enterprise software from scratch isn’t usually an agency’s core competency. Even if it was, are agencies ready to commit the time and budget needed to see the job through?
- Campaign management grows more challenging all the time for a wide range of reasons, such as increasing device fragmentation, the emergence of new channels like social, the accelerating pace of publisher innovation, and more.
- Proven solutions already exist and are well-established. For example, we manage more than $4 billion a year digital ad spend for leading global advertisers. Marketers don’t have to reinvent the wheel.