U.S. Workers Will Spend 8.4 Million Hours Watching College Hoops Tournament
In March, a hoops fan’s fancy turns completely obsessed with March Madness, aka the NCAA Men’s Basketball Championship, which ranks only behind the Super Bowl and BCS title game in popularity. The 63-game tourney doesn’t start until March 19, but right now millions of fans are frantically filling out brackets to predict game winners and compete in everything from office pools to huge contests like Yahoo! Sports Tourney Pick ‘Em. (Next week we’ll announce our annual Agency Pick ‘Em game, open to ad agencies only, which was won last year by Ravi Patel of Neo@Ogilvy.)
Over the next couple of weeks, passionate fans will fill out more than 40 million brackets. If sports fans play in your target market, you’ll appreciate today’s infographic on their deep engagement with the tourney. If you’re a fan yourself, you can make good use of these tips for creating the “perfect” bracket.
Here are some fascinating facts and tips from the infographic:
- Your chance of picking every game winner correctly is 1 in more than 18 quintillion
- If you had one paper clip for each possible bracket, their combined weight would equal that of 46 billion blue whales
- No team seeded worse than 8th has ever reached the championship game
- Choose a Final Four that includes two #1 seeds to increase your odds by more than 33%
- When choosing upsets, bet on a #12 seeded team for upset odds up to 50%
There’s plenty more where that came from, so crossover dribble yourself to the full infographic.