Boost your clickthrough rates by up to 155% with these engaging new ad formats. Our expert tips will show you how.
With the right strategies under the hood, automotive SEM campaigns can really get humming. As we showed in a recent post, you can rev up the results of your auto search ads by maintaining a comprehensive set of keywords, bidding competitively, and leveraging review sites. Now that you’ve done that, you’re probably wondering what else you can do to soup up search performance. If your share of ad impressions is dominating the marketplace, the next step is to put the SEM pedal to the metal by leveraging this two engaging custom ad formats: Rich Ads in Search and Sitelink Extensions.
Rich Ads in Search put your ads in the pole position
Rich Ads in Search allow you to incorporate images, videos, links, and other interactive features into your ads. That’s not all---they give you top position placement on Yahoo! and Bing search results pages for your branded terms. This means that in addition to engaging searchers with sleek pictures and enticing videos, you’ll push competitive ads over to the right rail.
Here are some key benefits of using Rich Ads in Search:
- Achieve clickthrough rates of 25-30%.* That’s the average CTR that advertisers have seen from their campaigns on the Yahoo! and Bing Network.
- Generate CTRs 145-155% higher than standard text ads.* That’s the added horsepower of using interactive features to attract and engage searchers.
- Reinforce your message to consumers each time they search for your brand. By including assets like your company logo, car images, or videos in your Rich Ads in Search, you can create a look, feel, and message that’s cohesive with your brand and your display advertising efforts. For example, the more often a consumer sees your signature video spot, the more familiar and top-of-mind your brand will be for them.
- Combat other advertisers’ efforts to conquest your trademarked terms. With standard search ads, competitors can “conquest” or bid on your brand keywords to direct consumers to their ads. For example, a BMW dealership could bid on the keyword “Mercedes” to support a “Why not consider a BMW instead?” message. But with Rich Ads in Search, ads for your branded terms get placement on top of the search page, enabling you to capture consumer attention---and the vast majority of clicks.
- Use deep links to drive traffic to the pages most relevant to consumers’ interests. Your Rich Ads in Search can contain up to four links below your text. So, for example, if you were a Southern California Audi dealer, you could use links to drive shoppers to your dealership inventory page, a quote request form, financing options, or your service center page---all within the same ad unit.
Here's an example of how Cadillac used Rich Ads in Search to engage consumers with an embedded video and drive them to specific Web pages using deep links.
Sitelink Extensions can get better mileage for your search ads
Like Rich Ads in Search, the Sitelink Extensions ad format lets you add deep links below your ad creative. However, with Sitelink Extensions, you aren’t limited to ads for branded terms only.
Here are some top benefits of using this engaging format:
- Boost CTR by 5-15% over standard text ads.**
- Include phone numbers, dealership addresses, or direct access to specific pages of your site. You can add links to any search ad.
- Easily import Site Links from your AdWords account using the Bing Ads Editor tool.
- Provide deep links for brand and non-brand keywords (this works particularly well for third-party review sites).
This chart shows the high percentage of advertisers that are currently using Sitelink Extensions within the automotive category. Activating Sitelink Extensions in your campaigns can help you stay competitive in the market.
The bottom line: If you’re not using Rich Ads in Search and Sitelink Extensions, you may be losing click share. Plus, these ad formats often have even lower costs-per-click than you might be paying for your standard text ads.
For more information on how these customizable ad formats can accelerate your SEM success, contact your Yahoo! Account Manager.