Yahoo! and The Nielsen Company
Download the Mobile Shopping Framework whitepaper
With the increased adoption of smartphones, faster network speed and convenience factor, mobile presents a tremendous opportunity for marketers to reach a captive, commerce-oriented audience while they are shopping. To provide a deeper understanding into this opportunity, Yahoo! commissioned a study with Nielsen to create a framework around mobile Internet shopping behavior.
We wanted to better understand:
- Mobile usage and consumption basics
- Mobile shopping penetration and activities
- Mobile impact on purchases
- Mobile advertising
To answer these questions we interviewed 8,384 U.S. residents ages 13-64 via an online quantitative survey in June 2010. 5,313 were mobile Internet users who access information related to at least one of 12 product categories. 3,071 were PC/Laptop Internet users who access information related to at least one of the 12 product categories and could not access any category Internet information on a mobile device.
Key findings include:
devices are accessed frequently in stores, making them a great
advertising vehicle for retailers. 9 out of 10 mobile users have
accessed mobile web while at a store (see chart 1), and approximately
50% of in-store mobile web activity is related to shopping. For example,
48% of in-store mobile users take and/or send a picture of a product to
a friend or family member.
Chart 1: 9 in 10 have accessed the mobile web at a store
- 51% of consumers indicated that they do make a purchase after doing research on their mobile device.
- On average 16% use their mobile phones for shopping research, but interest for this in the next 12 months is extremely high at 57% among mobile Internet users and 41% among non-mobile Internet users, on average.
is tremendous opportunity to reach consumers through advertising on
their mobile devices. 1 in 5 mobile shoppers who have seen advertising
during the shopping process say they always look at it. The key to being
successful in mobile shopping advertising is to make sure the ads are
informative. Consumers want mobile ads to include:
- Product Features
of mobile Internet users (and 92% of 13-24s) are using their mobile
devices simultaneously with TV. A quarter of them say they are browsing
content related to what they are watching, presenting a compelling
opportunity for content providers and advertisers alike to complement
the viewing experience on the mobile platform.Chart 2: Most mobile Internet users access the mobile Internet while watching TV
- Mobile becomes critical for impulse, time sensitive buys and when a PC is just not available. 56% said it’s great when I am not near a PC/laptop, 45% said it’s great to research unplanned purchases and time-sensitive research, 41% use it for impulse buys.
Although mobile shopping research is still nascent, a significant number of mobile Internet users are accessing the Internet in-store, often to search for shopping information. By targeting mobile ads to these engaged users, marketers can reach a receptive audience at the time of purchase or while they are conducting product research for a future buy.
Download this article in PDF format.