Best Practices for Broad Match: Easily Increase your high quality click volume
Of the three match types available for search marketers, broad match presents the greatest opportunity to reach new and potential customers. When you use broad match, your search ad appears for a search query that:
- Contains all of the words in your keyword in a different order
- Contains all of the words in your keyword in the same order but have other terms that are not noise words between them
- Includes words that are closely related to your keywords
As a result of these features, utilizing broad match can help you tap into the 30% of daily searches on the Yahoo Bing Network that are brand new, and you won’t be able to reach with the more granular match types.
Benefits of Broad Match
Broad match has the greatest reach, meaning that search ads appear on more queries that are relevant to your business. Our research shows that on average, utilizing Broad Match can add 70% more clicks and 56% more conversions for advertisers. In addition to increasing click volume, and potentially improving ROI, this extended reach can play an important role in the keyword discovery process.
|Vertical||% Clicks added|
by Broad Match
|% Conversions added |
through Broad Match
|Careers & Education||119%||72%|
|Financial Services & Insurance||46%||65%|
|Health & Wellness||94%||41%|
|Telecom & Web Services||72%||49%|
Broad Match Best Practices
Once you’ve included broad match keywords in your account, here’s what you should keep in mind to maximize performance:
- Identify negative keywords by using the search query report, and leverage exact and phrase match negatives to block particular queries.
- Add new keywords based on queries your broad match keywords are matching to. These can be identified by pulling a search query reports. With continual enhancements to broad match, we encourage you to expand your keyword set to ensure efficiency and grow your click volume.
- Broad match uses a variety of techniques to determine if your search ad appears. Ensure consistency of query, keyword, ad copy, and landing page.
- Set up explicit bids for all match types. If implemented correctly, exact match will always serve over Broad Match within the same account if it’s eligible to serve.
Recent Improvements to broad match performance
In an effort to deliver the most relevant broad match traffic to advertisers, there have been a series of recent improvements to the matching technology, which include:
- Enhancing matching ability, which helps to improve the selection of phrase/broad match ads.
- Identifying conceptually similar keywords in an effort to reduce less relevant mappings
- Prioritizing landing page relevance to decrease filtration and avoid higher CPCs
As related enhancements continue to roll out, we encourage you to test more keywords on broad match and monitor the queries your keywords are being matched to.
Reach out to your account manager to make sure you aren’t missing out on up to 57% of available impressions!