Did you know that all of the web's top 13 original video series are produced by Yahoo!? Yahoo!’s popular original video programming reaches more than 37 million people per month (that’s double Hulu’s monthly audience). With a creative canvas that enables advertisers to engage video audiences with relevant messages and out-of-the-box ad formats, marketers can now participate in video advertising in a variety of ways: "share of voice" buying within audience-focused slate programming, as well as branded content sponsorship and/or integration (short or long-term). All of these opportunities can utilize a variety of video ad formats, such as Smart Ads with video and Interactive Video Ads designed to meet specific marketing objectives by vertical.
Following a successful first season of original premium Web shows targeted at women, Yahoo! launched the second season of its women’s slate on Yahoo! Screen on April 2, 2012. The second season includes three new shows:
- “Style Studio with Rebecca Minkoff” hosted by the famed fashion designer
- “The Yo Show” featuring entertainment news reporter Michael Yo
- “In the Dressing Room with Cat Deeley” hosted by the fashion expert and TV personality
Yahoo! has also renewed five shows from the original women’s slate including “Let’s Talk About Love” with Niecy Nash, “Reluctantly Healthy” with Judy Greer, “Ultimate Surprises” with Cameron Mathison, “Chow Ciao! ” with Fabio Viviani, and “Blue Ribbon Hunter” with Allison Fishman – all of which originally debuted in October 2011. Morgan Spurlock’s “Failure Club,” launched in November 2011, will continue documenting its year-long project; “omg! NOW,” Yahoo!’s daily entertainment news show will continue as well. Plus, new shows will be added to the slate in the coming months.
The new slate of women’s shows lives within the Lifestyle section of Yahoo! Screen, a video destination that houses the most comprehensive and easy-to-discover collection of premium video content online. The videos are promoted throughout the Yahoo! network on the Yahoo! Homepage, which reaches 80% of all online U.S. visitors every month; omg! from Yahoo!, the most visited entertainment news website; and Shine from Yahoo!, the leading website for women’s lifestyle content.
Read more about season 2 of the women’s slate.
Original Video Programming for Comedy Fans
Comedy is for everyone. According to the Yahoo! Yodeler’s Panel, 89% consider themselves comedy fans, and 70% look for comedy clips online to watch.
Knowing this type of content resonates with the audience, Yahoo! also recently launched a variety of original comedy Web shows, which are collaborative efforts between Yahoo! and top-tier production partners. The new shows include "First Dates With Toby Harris," featuring Seth Morris (Funny or Die); "Sketchy" (Electus/ Principato-Young Entertainment), and "7 Minutes in Heaven" with "Saturday Night Live" writer Mike O’Brien (Broadway Video); "Hackerazzi" (David Morgasen) and "Burning Love" (Paramount Pictures/Red Hour), which premieres June 4th and features an impressive lineup of celebrity talent and spoofs popular reality TV dating shows.
The slate of comedy shows also includes the ever-popular Yahoo! Studios original show, "Odd News," Yahoo! News’s weekly wrap-up of the strangest stories from around the globe, hosted by comedian Greg Proops. All the new comedy shows are on Yahoo! Screen, Yahoo!’s online video destination.
With more than one billion streams of original comedy programming to date, Yahoo! is already the top online destination for comedy. The comedy channel on Yahoo! Screen was officially launched with the live broadcast of "CrazyStupidPolitics: Bill Maher Live From Silicon Valley," the first free online standup comedy broadcast. The Yahoo! Comedy Channel also features licensed content from top comedy content creators.
Read more about the Yahoo! Comedy Channel.
Original Video Programming for Men
According to comScore June 2012 data, Yahoo! reaches 84% of men 18-49 who are online every month, over 61MM unique users. In July 2012, Yahoo! introduced the third slate of original video programming, targeting men with new shows, “Stunt Nation” hosted by Sal Masekela, demolition program “KaBOOM!” hosted by Tara Conner (former Miss USA) and Rene Diamante (demolition expert), both live now. “Mansome,” a daily program from Executive Producers Morgan Spurlock, Will Arnett, and Jason Bateman, will launch Monday, July 23rd. Additionally, the top sports program online, the "Yahoo! Sports Minute" hosted by Angela Sun joins the men's slate.
Blockbuster Events: “Electric City”, “Cybergeddon”, & “Dancing With Myself”
In addition to audience-targeted slates, Yahoo! has recently announced major standalone web series with top Hollywood talent that offer unique opportunities for advertisers:
- “Electric City”: Two of the biggest brands in the entertainment industry, Yahoo! and Tom Hanks/Gary Goetzman’s Playtone, along with Reliance Entertainment, have teamed up to launch “Electric City,” an original scripted animated sci-fi series that offers a tantalizing, yet startling look into the future of civilization, now live on Yahoo! Screen. Yahoo enables audiences to discover “Electric City” in a deeply engaging way, and we know better than anyone else how to program and curate premium content for both the consumer and advertiser. Find out more details about the show.
- “Cybergeddon”: Anthony E. Zuiker, the visionary creator of the CSI franchise and his production company Dare to Pass and Yahoo! have announced that casting and production will officially begin on the much anticipated “Cybergeddon” project, a groundbreaking motion picture event which will bring to life the growing threat of cybercrime. “Cybergeddon” will be launching globally, first on Yahoo! in Fall 2012, as a series of installments to roll out sequentially. “Cybergeddon” will engage Yahoo!’s worldwide audience of 700 million unique visitors, through an immersive storytelling, social media and gaming experience. Find out more details about the show.
- From the creators of “Rock of Ages,” Matthew Weaver and Chris D’Arienzo introduce working title, “Dancing With Myself” , a musical "jukebox" comedy, produced by Matthew Weaver and RelativityREAL, featuring classic 80’s pop songs. Coming in 2013.
Benefits of Clickable Video Ads
Using its data and insights, content optimization, and personalization technology, Yahoo! is able to identify programming topics that appeal to key demographics of our online video audience. With its deep expertise in contextualizing video experiences, Yahoo! has developed the perfect opportunity for brands to laser-target their consumers via in-stream video ads.
To see how Video Advertising in original shows can benefit your business goals, contact us or your Yahoo! Sales rep.